Tuesday, November 10, 2009

L2Typeset Blogger

Growing up, I was a math and science guy. In fact, my writing was absolutely abysmal until I hit the 7th grade. My English teacher was a complete grammar snob above all else. He taught us the proper rules for commas (the bane of the English language), how to avoid dangling participles, and most importantly, how to follow instructions in writing. Since this was in the dawning of the computer age, we wrote a lot of papers and essays on the computer, and he made sure we followed all the rules to the T.

He was all kinds of old school so all papers had to be written in the English Typeset convention. That meant you didn't put spaces around punctuation but you put two spaces after periods, colons, and semicolons.

The reason I mention this is that Blogger apparently doesn't care for that convention, and when I put two spaces after periods it tends to put one space on the other line. As nitpicky as I might be, I'm not going back to remove spaces when it messes up format.

As much as I care for my readers to be graced with left align, it would be unethical for me to change my writing style when I'm in the right. I will simply wait for Blogger to stop raging against my typeset.

---------

He also taught us that it was proper to put a comma before the last option in multiple option sentence. For example, I would write the following sentence as:

That DK in the VoA pug was a clicker, a keyboard turner, and a face-roller.

Most writers won't put a comma after keyboard turner, but I want people to make sure that keyboard turning and face rolling are two separate ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment